Tuesday, November 15, 2011

The short story of finding our home and all the 3's that came with it!

3 months ago when I got the call from my landlord that they needed to move back into the home we had just finished moving into life sorta fell apart for me. I knew that I was lucky that it was just a move that was pulling the rug out from under me and not something tragic like cancer or divorce, it was after all just a relocation of us and our stuff but it was heavy. I was lost inside myself while I tried to find my grasp on how to make the most of it and turn it into an opportunity. Ya know, manufacture happiness. In the meantime, my body was in physical pain, I was ill. I couldn't believe it but I should have known it would happen. When there is a 'clause' in your lease that says they can, expect that they will. First lesson learned.
Luckily my husband was less fazed than myself and helped me see that this was the push we needed to start our house hunt.
It's been three months and 3 weeks since we received that call. 3 of those months spent living with my mom while we hunted and hunted. At times it felt hopeless, where was our house?!? Other times, moments of elation only to find out there was another offer on house after condo. 3 weeks ago we had 3 back offers on places that were just good enough but still not our 'dream'. We were in a state of settling. Manufacturing to much happiness but it wasn't natural, they weren't the ones. Then a chance spotting of a house that I'd been seeing on my web searches but hadn't made the push to see in person until we ended up on the same street looking at a different house. Out of the corner of our eye we recognized it and walked over with our agent who had her supra with her. Luckily the house was empty and she got us in then and there. Walking through the house we just knew. This was THE ONE. In our price range, totally redone, had the features the were at the top of our list...attached garage, en suite bath, washer dryer and backyard. WE'LL TAKE IT! Actually, we wouldn't. It already had another offer, a cash offer and they were moving quick. FUCK! Now what. That WAS the house. Like, the one.
Well if you know me, you know I don't take No easily. Our poor Realtor was doing her best to distract us. Took us out to see 20 (TWENTY!) houses a few days later and they were all No's and if anything just made it harder to forget about the house. The one that had YES written all over it. That was the one!.
We kept sneaking that house into conversations and subtly reminding her to follow up and call, just in case.
Well the next day I got a call from her at 8am. She'd never called us that early and I knew or maybe just hoped. Either way, I was too scared to answer. When I called her back it was true, the buyer had changed his mind last minute and we were in the front spot to make an offer. Moving with lightning speed we submitted our offer and it was accepted that day.
Today is 3 weeks later. We've had inspections, requested a few repairs, contingency's have been removed and tomorrow is our final walk through.

The house is ours!! The one that makes the last months all OK and worth it!!! I am more than thrilled that we get to live in the house that we wanted and that I have such a wonderful person to share it with.
We are so thankful of the family members that helped us out in our time of need. Especially my mom who opened up her home to us while we searched.

I look forward to blogging about out the process of owning a home and doing projects around it.

No comments: